Monday 8 August 2011

August/September Prospects Blog

I wrote in our last rendezvous about the ‘dream job’ that had seemingly arisen, which miraculously as it sounds seems to have incorporated all of the attributes that I have been able to acquire over my several frowned upon interests over the last couple of years. Social media, writing and an interest in sports were the three key skills highlighted on the job description, and it can be answered in no uncertain terms whatsoever; I tick all three. You can ask many a punter who comes into the shop wanting a quiet bet, I never shut up. I can talk about sports until blue in the face, since a very early age, I just love it. Darts, football, rugby, cricket, horse racing, snooker, to name but a few. Even playing football last Sunday for my team (That’s What She Said), one of our opponents merely five minutes into the game shouted “does that lad ever shut up”, so I did the only logical thing to do, talk and shout more and louder.

The aspect of social media would be a doddle, as I am constantly procrastinating on facebook and twitter, again, usually discussing cricket, darts, racing on twitter with my loyal and many followers (cheap plug for @JJMsports). I have also been able to hone my writing skills through my monthly rantings here on Prospects, bemoaning my luck in life and wishing to return to my placement year here in 2008/2009, which was probably the best year in my rollercoaster of a life. I have also been writing for a company called The Racing Forum, as a lead writer and generally intern, helping with things like social media, competitions, and general maintenance etc, basically a solid foundation and experience to plaster onto the Curriculum Vitae.

So I should go close it would seem. My interview is Canary Wharf in London on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately as is the way in my life, I am less than prepared. I am yet to sort out my portfolio, train tickets, general plan of action, and the fated meeting is in 72 hours.

Knowing what to do and say is something that I should be offering tips and advice on, however it seems a matter of ‘Do as I say, not as I do’. Every time I try to plan something, I draw the proverbial blank, and as I am not one who likes to fret or worry, I will just ignore it and do something else.

I will have to ultimately face up to having to sort a plan together if I do want to achieve what is called in business as ‘Self-actualisation’, doing a job that you actually love, rather than seeing as just work. Writing and talking about sports for a living would be that dream. Dreams rarely come true. I shall let you know next month.

The Yorkshireman – Jack Milner

No comments:

Post a Comment