Tuesday 11 October 2011

September 2011 Prospects Blog

Jack has finished his degree. His job hunt is proving a long and difficult road.

I am sure you have been waiting with bated breath to hear about how my potentially life-changing offer of a dream job went, and there seems to be a growing trend regarding the outcome. The phrase that immediately sticks out in my thoughts is ‘close, but no cigar’. I was informed that unfortunately I was not selected for the position, thank you for applying, etc.

The stats that the woman provided me with were supposed to fill me with some heart, and give me something positive to take from what was a very large negative. There were 160 applicants for the job and of these there were a meagre seven people interviewed in the Canary Wharf headquarters, of which I was one of the privileged few, getting an inside peek behind the proverbial Iron Curtain.

Image: Jack Milner

After the interview I was quietly confident, although never truly believed I would get the job. I know how my life works and things just don’t seem to click into place. Even when first embarking on this blog and the job hunt, I was turned away from a seemingly perfect job role when a locally based and well run company said, ‘sorry, you are seemingly too good for the job’. Unbelievable but true.

Getting back on track, the interview seemed to go well. It was with the head of content for the website, the head of HR and the marketing director. They liked the fact I had put some time and effort into working unpaid for The Racing Forum and that I was working there purely on my love of the sport and to bolster my CV. My eyes lit up when they discussed that they were interested in setting up their own forum. If successful in my job application, I would be responsible for overseeing this side of the project, due to my previous experience in the field at Prospects and now at The Racing Forum. That’s a good sign, right? Hinting that I’m pretty much qualified for future tasks and projects they are thinking about running.

However, I didn’t get the job. Like a horse that has seconditis, I just cannot get over that finish line. Apparently, I was third out of the seven shortlisted, with the two candidates higher in the pecking order having more experience and bringing ‘fresher ideas’.

As my childhood hero Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart (yes, I am sad and I am aware of this) said, ‘the biggest dreams can come true’. For now, mine will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment