Tuesday 31 May 2011

May/June Employment Blog for Graduate Prospects

Another month, another blog, yet a few words from an abrasive Yorkshireman is hardly going to change the world, or is it? Well no, in the basic sense, however it has been another exciting and strange (lovely mix by the way) month in the life of Jack Milner. Sports, mixed with work, add a dash of motivation, a pinch of surrealism and a dash of tomfoolery seemingly is what is the nucleus for the life of one Jack Jacob Milner.

It’s a rather strange thing to admit, but I have little worthwhile to say, which for a loud mouth and opinionated person such as myself, I can assure you, is quite the rarity. It seems like I have entered the comfort zone at the minute, in terms of occupation, and in life. I have a settled job, which allows me to enjoy other aspects of life, and allows me to incorporate my love of sports, playing, watching, and also carry on with my writing, and possibly pursuing that as another occupational route. If I had to apply the current situation to a metaphor in life, I think I have unfortunately entered ‘The Friend Zone’. You tried to play it cool at first, don’t want to step on anybody’s toes, bide your time, and before you realise it, you are stuck, between the rock and the preverbal hard place, with no escape, and no glimmer of light! Whilst a situation like this may be amusing in a light hearted sitcom, watching the bumbling yet charmingly funny character continue his efforts only to succumb to some form of social high jinx, in the employment game, it is definitely not.

Given my history, employment, degree, work experience, it would be reasonable to assume that there would be a chance to further myself further afar from the confides of the bookmakers. However again, it goes back to the comfort zone issue, and in an ironic state, is it worth the gamble? The bookmakers is often a hub of bad advice, with people always willing to throw their two penneth in, irrespective of whether it is warranted, or even asked for. When discussing this issue with a few of the more regular punters, who are brighter than most in here, they have often remarked about the ‘easy life’. I usually close the shop, which means I don’t start until late on, either work 12.45 – 9.45 or 4.15-9.45. This means I am able to go out, play football, go to the pub, play poker etc until late on, and still get a reasonable lie in, in the morning. I’m also able to catch all of the football or other sport that is on, due to big screen TV’s with Sky and ESPN on.

However the pay in the grand scheme of things is not great, and is it really plausible to stay in this little bubble forever? There are career opportunities, but still mean staying in the same shop, doing the same tasks, and surely the feeling of underwhelming would creep in as the monotonous processing of bingo tickets continue?

I’ll have another ponder and get back to you next week, definitely need to stew this one over a pint! If you like, follow me on twitter, I’d like to this it would be worth a chuckle – www.twitter.com/jjmsports


The Yorkshireman – Jack Milner

No comments:

Post a Comment